worlds of possibility

worlds of possibility
world of possibility

Monday, July 12, 2010

Burning Man! - This should have heppened before I wrote my thesis!






What Is Burning Man?



Once a year, tens of thousands of participants gather in Nevada's Black Rock Desert to create Black Rock City, dedicated to community, art, self-expression, and self-reliance. They depart one week later, having left no trace whatsoever. Then they return home to embody the principles they learned year-round. Learn more about this incredible experience through our First Timers' Guide, our mission and the Ten Principles.


What Isn't Burning Man?

 
Burning Man isn't a curated "festival" as most people know them. Rather, it's an entirely participant-driven event, and therein lies the novelty. Learn more.



I found this descrption on the burning man website http://www.burningman.com/.  It is something that has always intrigued me that it should be on my bucket list.  Crazy art hippies in the middle of the Nevada desert making art in all forms and instances of the word and then to be burned without a trace? Awesome.  That also means no showers for a week.  I think I could hack it.  I imagine it as a crazy microcosm of inspiration (in my head the images look much like those of woodstock but a little more directed at the objective.)

aerial view of the burning man camp

Furthermore, this gathering has principles and ideals; Radical Inclusion, gifting, decommodification, radical self-reliance, radical self-expression, communal effort, civic responsibility, leaving no trace, participation and immediacy.  If that doesn't sound like it parallels with my 2009 MA thesis I don't know what does?  The title of my thesis was  Saturating Space: Unveiling the Plexus of Public Space Through the Lens of Subculture.  I attempted to study place making through modes of subculture and I specifically looked at Flash-Raves and random technological driven events.

One of my favorite photo collages that I produced during thesis studies.

This year's topic is the study of the urban as an organic growth of socialization.  If I weren't doing wedding stuff I would have Luke talked into this already!  We have already discussed it so this wouldn't take much bribing...

2010 Art Theme: Metropolis?
Great cities are organic, spontaneous, heterogeneous, and untidy hubs of social interaction. At Burning Man 2010, we will inspect the daily course of city life and the future prospect of civilization. Prior to the event, we'll host an ongoing conversation about urban design and its impact on culture and community in the Metropol Blog Series.

I am dying here!  When I read the theme I about jumped out of my seat for joy!  Then defeat when I realized that I can't go. 
 
Burning man has officially made it onto my Bucket List.
 
Samples of what you would see there:

crazy balancing trucks


junk = treasure

No comments:

Post a Comment